Name:
Location: no fixed address

Thursday, September 16, 2004

doggerel day afternoon

You Get What You Pay For


I tried to write a poem once that didn’t rhyme at all
with rhythm that did not suggest a gaily bouncing ball

I had my doubts when I sat down but soon to my surprise
a little verse began to grow before my very eyes

I felt so liberated from the rigours of my style
I felt I could write anything and make it all worthwhile

My inhibitions vanished as the ink began to flow
I didn’t give a damn about where capitals should go

I threw out punctuation then I made up some new words
I tried to show an influence to satisfy the nerds

I scribbled where I wanted to wherever on the page
My words were full of beauty, truth and love and lust and rage

My sight grew dim, my hands did shake but on and on I went
until at last the paper tore and all my ink was spent

My poem was a masterpiece when finally I quit
My one and only free verse was a masterpiece of shit

-The Unknown Poet

2 Comments:

Blogger lisa said...

post it.

September 16, 2004 at 3:54 PM  
Blogger Huckleberry Finnegan said...

I asked The Unknown Poet if he would consider publishing the sole example of his free verse but he told me it no longer exists anywhere except in his nightmares.

September 16, 2004 at 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home